Are you ready for this chop challenge? Sharpen your knives and be careful with your fingers!
Challenge 1: Pre-chop either one vegetable or one fruit for the week.
Challenge 2: Pre-chop two containers full of either veggies or fruit for the week.
Challenge 3: Choose one recipe you love and prep all of the ingredients for the following day.
This Week’s Recipes
This week’s recipes will surely go easier if you prepare ahead of time, so put those organizational and chopping skills to the test!
Pick your healthy carb – Choose 1 cup of:
- rice (brown, jasmine or basmati)
- pasta (try brown rice pasta)
- roasted sweet potato, cubed
Pick your protein – Choose 1 cup of:
- Chicken or turkey (roasted or grilled, pre-cooked rotisserie poultry works)
- Beans—chickpeas, cannellini (white kidney beans), kidney beans, or black beans.
Lentils—green, yellow or red.
- Tofu (slices or cubed, grilled)
- Nuts, unsalted & raw (not roasted)
Pick your vegetables – Choose any combination of 2-5 favourite veggies to make 1-2 cups total:
- Bell peppers
Pick your Sauce – Choose your favourite prepared, packaged sauce:
- soy sauce (tamari or Braggs are a low sodium alternative)
- hoisin sauce
- peanut sauce
- curry sauce (such as tikka or butter masala)
- or enjoy plain!
- Cook rice, pasta or quinoa as per instructions on package.
To roast sweet potato: pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and cube one large sweet potato. Toss with 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and roast until soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally; about 30-35 mins roasting time.
- Prepare (chop or dice) your protein (rinse beans and tofu thoroughly, patting tofu dry before cooking) and vegetables of choice.
Vegetables can be kept raw, or lightly sautéed with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil in a pan.
- Add healthy carb to a bowl and top with, protein and vegetables.
- Drizzle with flavouring and enjoy!
Crock-Pot Quinoa Chili
*Avoid all spicy peppers if you have a history of gastro-intestinal inflammation.
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 15 oz can black beans
- 1/2 of 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small chili or jalapeno pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oreganoOptional Toppings:
· fresh avocado, chopped into chunks
1. Add the broth, quinoa, black beans and tomatoes to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the avocado) and stir a few times to combine.
3. Set the slow cooker (Crock-Pot) to high for 2 ½ to 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
4. Portion out for the week once it is cooled, or put in the freezer for easy access.
5. When ready to use, thaw in fridge overnight. Warm on stove over med-low heat.
6. Top with avocado chunks just before serving.